Dolby Atmos®, the revolutionary cinema sound technology, has come to home theaters. With Dolby Atmos, content creators can precisely place and move sounds anywhere in your living room, including overhead, to make entertainment incredibly immersive and lifelike.
Feel Every Dimension
Dolby Atmos in the cinema, at home, and on the go. Up to now, cinema sound designers have had to mix independent sounds together into channels for soundtrack creation. If a scene required, say, a helicopter taking off, that sound had to be assigned to an individual channel and mixed together with other sounds.
While that helicopter could move across channels, it couldn’t go above you. You wouldn’t hear it as you would in real life.
Introducing Audio Objects
Dolby Atmos is the first audio format based on audio objects rather than channels. In Dolby Atmos, any sound—the helicopter, a blaring car horn, a yelling child—can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. It can be placed and moved anywhere, including anywhere overhead.
Filmmakers can now focus on telling the story. They can place sounds where they would occur naturally in a scene, rather than compromising the artistic intent by having to place them into channels. Sounds move in multidimensional space—flowing above and around you in step with the visuals to bring a new sense of height and reality. Dolby Atmos puts you in the middle of the action—in ways you have never before experienced. And it adapts to any playback environment—in the cinema, at home, or on the go.
Experience Atmos at a cinema near you. : Dolby Atmos Theater Locator
- Supports up to 128 simultaneous independent audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound.
- Descriptive metadata captures all the director’s intent and provides customized playback for the cinema, home theater, and mobile device.
In the Cinema
- Scales easily to any size cinema, with up to 64 independent speaker outputs.
In the Home
- Advanced Dolby® codecs and our sophisticated rendering process scale and adapt the original cinema experience to your home theater, from seven speakers to as many as 34, recreating the intent of the filmmaker.
On the Go
- The Dolby Atmos renderer on the device takes the spatial information from the audio objects created for the cinema and renders them in multidimensional space over headphones. Combining the object-based audio with binaural headphone rendering, which relies on outer ear and shoulder cues, Dolby Atmos reconstructs a natural, immersive sound experience.
- Dolby Atmos content is fully compatible for playback on conventional stereo and on 5.1- and 7.1-channel systems.
Dolby Atmos Benefits
Produces Breathtaking, Multidimensional Sound
With a Dolby Atmos® system, sound comes from all directions, including overhead, to create an immersive experience with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth.
Delivers the Full Impact of the Artist’s Work
Dolby Atmos gives artists amazing new capabilities to tell their stories, accent their games, or perform their music—so you can experience the power of the artist’s vision.
Puts Sounds into Motion All Around You
The specific sounds of people, music, and things move around you in multidimensional space,so you feel like you are inside the action.
Moves Your Mind, Body, and Soul
Dolby Atmos sound excites your senses and inspires your emotions to create a more profoundly moving entertainment experience.